Tuesday, December 7, 2010

and presents for pretty girls


Holiday time is alive and well in Jakarta. Thanksgiving arrived with no parades, fall leaves, or college football games. However, sweetie pie and I managed to have a very nice turkey dinner with a few modified accompaniments. There was roast turkey, cranberry sauce, green beans and something that I think was supposed to be a form of dressing, and some pumpkin based desserts on the menu. All of this was part of the American Club Thanksgiving Dinner right here in Jakarta. It was very nice and we had two ladies sitting at our table that we had never met before and talked of things in the US and things in Indonesia. It was a little slice of home that I didn't have to cook.

The cleaver Indonesians, or at least the ones in Jakarta, have discovered that Christmas is big business. The malls are decorated with Christmas trees, Christmas music is playing in lots of places, both secular and non-secular. Today at the grocery, the clerks had on Santa hats. Ho. Ho. Ho.

Now keep in mind, that some of the decorations are a little different than what we have. At the mall for instance, you can have your picture taken with Santa. There is a big elaborate area where you wander up to Santa's grass roofed hut. Past jolly figures wearing capri length pants, cone shaped hats,and no shoes. Santa and his cute little helpers are dressed in bright red batik. Beautiful, huge butterflies are suspended from the ceiling of the mall. They are made from lovely batik fabrics and swing as the air moves. Tall narrow cone shaped artificial trees are decorated with garlands and colored balls and lights. It is very festive and an unexpected sight.

Today I am on my way back to the US. My first solo flight to the mother-land. I am in capri pants, not at all like the ones the Indonesian elves are wearing at the mall and a short sleeved shirt. I will go to Singapore who's weather is much like ours. From there I will go to Moscow. Holy cow! I have a change of clothes as I know capripants are not going to cut it there. December in Russia is not the same as December in Southeast Asia. I will change before I get off the plane and then wander around for an hour, get frisked and then get back on the plane. Can hardly wait.....

From there, I will arrive in Houston which is also not like Southeast Asia in terms of December temperatures. On my last visit in May, I never got around to driving myself. Those days are over for me very soon. I will be in charge of getting myself from point A to point B in one piece. I will be driving my honey's truck no less. Can hardly wait.....

I am looking forward to a visit and to bringing our son back with me to Indonesia. I imagine, it will be a bit like watching the disbelief and awe on his face when we took him to Disney World. It is going to be a blast to show him things we have discovered. Seeing his face as he watches all of the incredible stuff that goes on around you every single day. Every single time you leave the house. It will be a fabulous Christmas gift to us to share our new home and life with him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home