Thursday, July 3, 2014

All that is bittersweet

I have spent some of the time that I have left here saying goodbye to many of the business people who have contributed to my education, enjoyment, and pleasure of living on this great big island called Java.

To Shelly and Sri who know me by name at the grocery.  They make sure the other cashiers know my name when I go to check out.  The last time I was in there, I had my picture taken with Shelly while we stood in front of the mango display.  I just loved that little event.

To Aty and Henny at the frame shop where I have spent a lot of time and money.  You are so patient and have such a good eye. You have helped me countless times decide on mats and frames to make my photographs look their best.  Today, while I visited with you, it felt so very special.  I too will treasure the photos of tiga ibu who wouldn't wear their glasses for the pictures.  Hugs ladies.

To Pak Lukman.  I cried when I said goodbye to you today.  Your sweet and gentle nature just touched me so much each and every time we spoke.  I couldn't do a photo because I had tears streaming down my face and that wouldn't really reflect what a joy it has been to know you.  I will enjoy, for years to come, all of the items you and your talented family have made.  Most of all I will hold dear the decorated Scoopy helmet that will go on display in a case at my new home.  It is priceless.

To the staff at Antipodean where honey pie and I visit for Sunday morning breakfast most weekends.   Its small, its loud with noise from coffee being ground, heavy wooden chairs being dragged over the floor, children fussing and people talking.  Yet, I find I feel kind of like "Norm" on the TV show "Cheers."  They all know us and when one or the other isn't there they ask where we are.  I will miss your cappuccino and the lovely foam art work on top.  I will miss your mushroom cheese omelet.  I will miss those lovely smiling faces no matter what is going on in the room.  You are always gracious and accommodating.  You introduced me to hot honey lemon which is a miracle salve for sore throats.  Sunday morning breakfast will never be the same.

To the incredibly goofy nine hole golf course of Fatmawati.  I love Fatmawati like I love bajajs.  On the surface they are so dirty and imperfect and weird.  But that is what makes them rather charming.  They are unassuming and get the job done in a unique way that isn't all polished and slick.  I love that they have one lawn mower at Fatmawati.  It takes so long for them to mow from the first hole to the ninth hole, that the grass goes to seed somewhere on the course at sometime during the week.  You are guaranteed to be picking grass seeds off your socks.  If you don't,  you will end up with them stuck in your underwear days later after all the white things gets washed together.  I love the people walking to and fro on the course and the motorcycles and scooters that are parked in the fairway when a group comes to visit the guy mowing.  But you can go out there and hit four or five shots from the tee or from the fairway or practice your chipping or pitching and no one is there to fuss.  If someone wants to play through, you stand aside let them finish and then go back to practicing.  You really can't putt as the greens are so lumpy the ball bounces all around.  There is a mosque located directly beside one of the holes and if you are fortunate enough to be there during call to prayer, you get blasted out by the loud speakers.  I think the professionals should come play here as it is really silly that people have to stay perfectly quiet while they hit on to immaculately manicured greens from immaculately manicured tees and fairways.  What a bunch of whimps!  The caddies are really good and I still miss Pak Andi every time I go.  The only two birdies I have ever made in my year and a half of playing golf have been at Fatmawati.  I will miss you.

To yet another golf course.  This one is called Matoa.  It has, hands-down, the best iced lemon tea I have had here.  It is also here, that I have been assigned so many aliases that I have almost forgotten my own name.  I have been Juli, July, and June along with others, but those are my favorites.  Never did make it to April or May.  The guys at the front all know us by name (maybe not always the correct one) and for a while I felt like it was my home course.  You helped me expand my identity - one new name at a time.

To Chef Yogi, Pak Rahib and the lovely staff at FJ Bistro.  I loved that you guys gave me a shout-out one day in the grocery.  What a fabulous surprise in a city of 13 million to have you find me.  You have always made room for us even if we didn't have a reservation.  I will miss the green mango salad with prawns. Oh, I will miss that soooo much.  We always felt so special when we dined there.  Thank you for you graciousness.

To the little man who stands at the flower stall in my neighborhood and helps wave traffic on.  I enjoy seeing you smile and help motion cars on even if they really are not paying any attention to you.  You are being productive to me in that I see you almost everyday and enjoy your presence.

To the man who used to pull the trash cart that had a child riding in it.  I now see you wander without the cart or the child and I worry about you.  I have no idea how to help.  I say prayers for you as I can't imagine what is going on in your life.  May better things be in store for you.

To the satay guy who has a giant grill and cooks up some of the most delicious smelling chicken satay around.  I love watching you fan the charcoals with your woven fan and the smoke just pouring out.  As we drive down the hill I can tell its a busy night just by the thickness of the smoke.  Selamat makan.

Last but not least, to the wonderful ladies at the spas I have visited.  You have petted and pampered me on so many occasions that I am spoiled rotten.  The healing that happens from touch is very underrated.  It has been such a pleasure to have you help me over days that were just so bad and I was so homesick and fed up with how to cope in such a foreign place.  I can't begin to thank you enough.  The joys of a delicious creme bath, which I have never known until here, will be something that I will miss for a long time to come.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home